Stefan, who is constantly relevant as a coach, Lego builder, columnist, På-Spåret participant and much more, is given space for his athletics-related reflections and summaries.
Athletically, he has heavy merits. Stefan has won Olympic gold, four IVM gold, WC silver outdoors, 5 EC medals, 22 SM gold (11 indoors and 11 outdoors). Stefan has continued great involvement in our sport both at grassroots level where he is a coach for 5-10 youth and juniors, and among other things his son Melwin Lycke Holm. He has been involved in the IOC, and follows the top international athletics from his computer and mobile phone.
We had a chat with Stefan.
Some retire completely and let go when they have finished their active career. What gives you the energy to continue to be so committed to athletics?
- A lot that I love athletics. I was away for a few years after I retired but realize I love athletics and the people who do it. I enjoy the environment and if I can give something back, that's good.
What do you do more than spending time on Athletics?
- I write a lot. Releasing, among other things, a novel at the beginning of May.
What is your greatest memory from DN Gala as an active member?
- I clearly remember the first victory in 1999 after a jump-off.
As a spectator at DN-galan and the BAUHAUS gala?
- I've never actually been there as an audience, but as a coach then. Mondo's jumping is a strong memory.
On TV, it's Patrik Sjöberg's world record in 1987. That was a lot of what made me start high jumping. I joined an athletics club the following fall.
Have you jumped at any Diamond League competitions?
- No, that streak started after I quit.
During 12 years 1998-2009, the highest competition series in athletics was called the Golden League. Stockholm was never there as an organizer, but in the level below which was then called the Super Grand Prix, but joined the successor which is now called the Wanda Diamond League. The Golden league competitions only had a selection of the "hottest" branches that varied from year to year, where men's height was included only twice (2000 and 2005). However, Stefan Holm managed to win in both Paris and Oslo in 2005.
How do you think the Diamond League differs from the Golden League?
- In the Diamond League, all disciplines are included in the program. All active people get the chance to join. Golden league, there were a few active with their disciplines who were selected to join. It wasn't that good.
What does the BAUHAUS gala mean for our Swedish track and field athletes?
- It means a lot. That you get the chance to compete in a Diamond League competition. Even if it's only at the pre-program. You still get the chance to see the big stars compete. As a youth and junior, it is a driving force to be involved for the future.
What did the competition at the Stadium mean to you?
- It was a highlight every year. It was always a very good competition opportunity as I knew I would meet some of the world's best on Swedish soil. Purely crass, it is always good to perform at home. There are many Swedish journalists and it is good for status and against sponsors to succeed on home soil.
What does the gala mean for Swedish athletics?
- The chance to compete on home soil means everything. It is important for the status of athletics to have a big gala on home ground. You are in the circus.
When will we see the next Swedish male high jumper at the international top level?
- I hope we get it in the not too distant future. Preferably in Budapest this summer but above all in Paris at the Olympics next summer. A healthy Fabian Delryd has shown that he has the capacity. If Melwin can take the next step and move up to the 2.20 level, we have another one.
Who is your current favorite male and female high jumper?
- It's hard not to choose Mutaz Barshim (Qatar). On the women's side, it is Yaroslava Mahuchikh (Ukraine). She is also the one who has the opportunity to challenge the current world record.
What record can you break as a writer at a Diamond League competition?
Do you keep track of your competitors on the Wanda Diamond League series?
- You want to get as many readers as possible and as many clicks as possible.
Will you be jumping at the BAUHAUS gala this summer?
- I find that hard to believe, but maybe a jump in the stands.
Read Stefan's first reflections from the indoor season in Mellantid.